PCOS affects a large number of young women in Mumbai. The condition is caused by either their lifestyles or genetics. PCOS can cause problems in conceiving a baby. Hence, women seek treatment at a fertility centre in Mumbai to fulfil their dream of becoming mothers.
Let’s have an overview of PCOS and know how it can affect the ability of a woman to conceive.
What exactly is PCOS?
Polycystic ovary syndrome-PCOS is an endocrine condition that affects women of reproductive age. In PCOS, women can have irregular menstrual cycles, abnormal hair growth, acne, and ovarian cysts. You may be wondering why this happens.
- The cause of PCOS is unclear, although it is thought to result from various genetic and lifestyle reasons.
- According to a report, women with PCOS are insulin resistant. Their ovaries produce too much testosterone due to too much insulin in their blood.
- Irregular menstrual periods and unwanted hair growth are caused by excess testosterone.
- PCOS may be caused by hormonal imbalances in other parts of the body in some women.
- PCOS has some distinct effects, although the cause is unknown.
- There is a considerable amount of increase in belly fat in PCOS women. Here’s a guide to how to get rid of PCOS belly.
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Abnormal hair growth on the face and body
- Abnormal periods
- Increased hormone levels like testosterone affect egg production
- Insulin resistance
- Increases the risk of complications such as gestational diabetes
- PCOS may not have a permanent cure, but it can be managed. Losing weight, for example, can help to alleviate symptoms and reduce PCOS. Using birth control and anti-androgen medications can also help with PCOS symptoms.
- If a woman has trouble conceiving, the first step of PCOS treatment is lifestyle modification, including eating a healthier diet and exercising regularly.
- The most effective PCOS diet is one with fewer carbohydrates and a lower glycemic load.
- The woman should also do easy exercise three days a week for at least 30 minutes.
- If infrequent ovulation persists even after lifestyle changes, the woman may need fertility medications, including selective estrogen receptor modulator drugs.
- The woman will require fertility injections to release an egg if fertility drugs do not help with ovulation or pregnancy. Fertility injections use the same hormone that the brain sends to the ovary to stimulate it to produce eggs.
- With transvaginal ultrasounds and blood samples, the fertility specialist will monitor the ovulation. It will assist the doctor in keeping track of the estradiol levels (a hormone secreted in the ovary).
- If neither of the above treatments is effective, the woman may require in vitro fertilization (IVF) to have a stable pregnancy.
IVF treatment for PCOS
- In IVF, the woman will receive regular fertility injections to stimulate the ovaries to produce multiple eggs.
- The doctor will perform a simple procedure to extract the woman’s eggs. Egg fertilization takes place in a lab after the extraction.
- The embryo (fertilized egg) will then be transferred into the uterus by the IVF doctor.
- The woman may also choose to freeze (cryopreservation) the embryos for later use.
How can you know if you are at risk for PCOS?
- Your doctor will be able to tell you whether you have PCOS. They will start by inquiring about your medical records and conducting a physical examination.
- Blood samples are also used to monitor the hormone levels in the blood. They would also suggest an ultrasound to look for cysts in your ovaries.
- You need not be concerned if you have PCOS. PCOS is a manageable condition, and most women who have it can have a stable pregnancy.
- Visit a fertility doctor in Mumbai. They will assist you in determining the most appropriate PCOS treatment.