ICSI treatment is a boon for couples struggling to conceive due to infertility problems, especially male factor infertility. We at Saraogi Hospital are experts in providing ICSI treatment in Mumbai.
For more than twenty-five years, Saraogi Hospital, a well-known IVF centre in Mumbai, has provided the best infertility treatment to all. It has helped realize the dreams of 18000+ people who had issues conceiving.
Here you are assured advanced fertility treatment under some of the best gynecologists and fertility specialists in Mumbai. They have the experience and expertise to offer the latest treatments such as IVF, ICSI, IMSI, FET, IUI, and many more.
Also, the ICSI treatment cost in Mumbai at Saraogi Hospital is economical with flexible payment offers.
Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) is an advanced assisted reproduction method in which a single sperm cell is injected into a mature egg. Fertility specialists mostly recommend ICSI in case of male infertility or after failed IVF cycles.
Step by step ICSI Treatment Procedure
Step I: Sperm collection
In ICSI, we retrieve the sperm from a semen sample or a Testicular Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (TESA). It requires inserting a needle directly into the testicle and aspirating the sperm. The sperm extraction process may be done earlier in some cases, and the sperm is frozen.
Step II: Sperm selection
During the ICSI procedure, our embryologist will choose the healthiest sperm with good DNA integrity to combine with the eggs for fertilization.
Step III: Egg retrieval
Egg extraction is done under transvaginal ultrasound guidance after controlled ovarian stimulation. We will insert a needle through the vagina into the ovary and then into the egg follicle to extract the eggs. The embryologist examines the oocytes under a microscope for assessment of maturity and prepares them. In ICSI, we only use genetically mature eggs.
Step IV: Sperm injection
Our embryologist will place the single sperm in the glass injection pipette in such a way that the head enters the egg first. Under the microscope, we will inject the sperm into the mature egg. It gives a helping hand to the sperm to penetrate the egg. We will regularly check the egg for signs of fertilization.
Step V: Embryo transfer
The process of fertilization takes place after the microinjection of the sperm directly into the egg. The fertilized eggs are known as embryos. Our fertility specialist will transfer the embryos to the uterus after 3-5 days. In some cases, we will wait till the blastocyst stage to transfer the eggs to the uterus. Our goal is to transfer the highest-quality embryo to give you a better chance of success. To determine the pregnancy, the woman has to undergo a urinary pregnancy test after two weeks of embryo transfer. Depending on the result, the future course of treatment is planned.
Who should consider ICSI Treatment?
Our doctors recommend ICSI treatment in Mumbai to overcome extreme male infertility like:
- Oligospermia: Oligospermia is a medical condition where the sperm count decreases for a variety of reasons. A decline in sperm count makes it difficult to become a biological parent. ICSI is usually the treatment of choice if you are unsuccessful even after trying other alternative treatment methods.
- Teratozoospermia: Teratozoospermia is the irregular morphology (shape) of sperm caused by a defect in the head, midpiece, or tail. Natural reproduction is hampered by abnormal sperm morphology. As a result, the ICSI procedure is commonly used to achieve pregnancy.
- Asthenozoospermia: Asthenozoospermia is poor sperm motility. Metabolic deficiencies or other ultrastructural anomalies cause this disorder. It is one of the leading causes of male infertility, reducing the possibility of pregnancy. In this case, ICSI can increase the chances of conceiving.
Other factors for the use of ICSI are:
- The use of frozen oocytes could cause the eggshells to harden. In such instances, we recommend ICSI.
- Despite healthy eggs and sperm, the egg does not fertilize.
- ICSI is the only insemination process that avoids polyspermy when embryos need to be screened for gene defects by preimplantation genetic testing.
- ICSI is the recommended form of insemination for HIV-discordant couples as it prevents oocyte-semen contact, lowering the risk of viral exposure.
What are the benefits of ICSI Treatment?
In ICSI, a low sperm count is not a problem. The embryologist uses special instruments and a high magnification microscope to select a good-quality sperm.
Our infertility specialist recommends ICSI for male infertility issues, such as:
- Reduced sperm count
- Low sperm motility
- Poor sperm quality
- Sperm unable to penetrate
- For a person who had a vasectomy
ICSI has a similar risk of birth defects as IVF, but it is significantly higher than natural conception. This slight increase in risk may be attributed to the cause of infertility rather than the procedures used to cure it.
Since a low sperm count caused by genetic issues may be passed on to a male infant, you should undergo genetic testing before ICSI.
What is the success rate of ICSI Treatment?
The ICSI success rate in Mumbai at Saraogi Hospital is around 80%-85%. Couples with male factor infertility have fertilization rate of 70%- 80%. This rate is almost equal to a fertilization with normal sperm.
What are the factors that determine the success of ICSI Treatment?
Egg quality: High-quality eggs produce good quality embryos capable of surviving the early stages of development and resulting in a successful pregnancy.
Age: When a woman conceives naturally or by IVF, her age plays an important role. With growing age, a woman’s capacity to conceive decreases. When it comes to fertility treatment, the success rate is higher when the woman is younger. ICSI is less likely to be effective in an older woman with fewer and lower-quality eggs. Follicle production decrease in older women.
Sperm quality: The quality of sperm can directly impact the development of an embryo. Sperms with regular motility and shape increase the chances of fertilization.
Meet the best doctors to perform ICSI Treatment in Mumbai:
Dr. Mohit R. Saraogi
Dr. Tejswita Rajpal Hande
Because ICSI has a high fertilization rate of around 90%, many clinics employ it to ensure fertilization. Depending on your medical history, the benefits of ICSI may be discussed with you during your visit with one of our fertility specialists.
According to a study, babies born with the help of infertility treatments such as in vitro fertilization (IVF) and intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) have no more health concerns than babies conceived naturally.
After IVF/ICSI treatment, twin pregnancies are the most significant consequence for both mother and child, although transferring at least two “best looking” embryos is still standard.